Saturday 12 September 2015

Steak with Gorgonzola sauce

Leave a Comment

Steak with Gorgonzola sauce

Some days, food is the only thing that  can make me happy. Seriously! The kids drive me insane, my husband irritates me, the domestic frustrates me… you get the picture. It also happens to be that on those days, my newly painted nails get smudged or the new bottle of foundation I bought the day before breaks. It might be that it’s ‘that time of the month’ or that the stars aren’t aligned (which I don’t believe in) but honestly, the only silver lining on days like those, is the food I will be eating at the end of the day.
Breakfast and lunch during the week is very, very boring as I drink shakes and my kids eat sandwiches…that’s about it. But dinner, now dinner is special. I always take my time to make the meal extra yummy, and although I sometimes fail, most of the time it’s pretty damn delicious!
This is one of those meals. Soft almost smokey steak covered in a comforting blanket of gorgonzola cream sauce, served with fluffy mash and zesty rocket. Oh bliss! Ok, I know that sounded like the description the manager at some fancy steakhouse would give about the special of the day, but that’s exactly what it was. The only way I could be happier is if you strap a pair of Christian Louboutins on my feet and send me off to NYC to go shop. And as I don’t have R7 000 to spend on a pair of shoes, I will settle for my steak and mash.
Serves 4
4 steaks (I used rump but you could use any cut you prefer)
I marinaded my steaks in a mixture of salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice and steak spice for about 20 minutes before grilling.
For the mash:
6-8 potatoes, peeled and chopped
2tbsn butter
1/2 cup cream
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Slalt & Pepper to taste
For the sauce:
250ml cream
80g Gorgonzola
100ml milk mixed with 2tsp cornflour
Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Cook the potatoes in plenty of salted water until soft. Drain and mash with the butter, cream, nutmeg and seasoning. Set aside.
  • Combine all the sauce ingredients and allow to simmer gently until the cheese has melted and the sauce has thickened.
  • You can cook the steak on either the braai or a griddle pan. Grill the steak to your liking (I like it medium rare so I grill it for about 3 minutes per side)
  • Serve the mash and steak topped with the gorgonzola sauce and some fresh rocket dressed with lemon juice and olive oil.
If You Enjoyed This, Take 5 Seconds To Share It

0 comments:

Post a Comment