Saturday 12 September 2015

pomegranate scones

Leave a Comment

pomegranate scones

pomegranate scones
While developing recipes for my second cookbook (due to be published in March 2015) I desperately wanted to do a fresh fruit scone. I tested a few options but each time the raspberries, figs or blueberries broke up too much and affected the integrity of the recipe. They tasted great but didn’t rise enough or hold together well. I came up with a very cool recipe but you are going to have to wait until next year to find out what I did. Hopefully when you buy my book.
Pomegranate seeds are the perfect solution to this problem. The berries are sturdy and contain their juice in firm little jewels. They only break at a later stage of baking or when you put the scone in your mouth. And yes, that is the best part. When the little juicy bits burst while eating these tasty scones.
pomegranate scones
pomegranate scones
pomegranate scones
I stumbled on this recipe recently, and given my history with fruity scone trials, I knew I wanted to give them a go. They were perfect. I love the sugary crust which adds texture, and the flavour of the scone was delicious. An all round winner of a recipe. The only thing I would do next time is add more Pomegranate seeds (I’ve adjusted the quantity from 1/2 cup to 3/4 of a cup, but you could even do a full cup).
Recipe – makes 8 scones from Making today Beautiful
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar + and extra T for sprinkling
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 8 Tbls butter, 1 stick or 113gm (cold or frozen)
  • 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk or half & half or cream (I guess full cream milk would work too, I used avapourated milk)
  • 1 large free-range egg
Preheat your oven to 400F / 200C.
Mix the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate the butter into the flour mixture on the large holes of a grater. Using your fingers work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse crumb. Stir in pomegranate seeds.
In another bowl, whisk the cream / milk and egg until smooth.
Using a fork, stir cream/ egg mixture into flour mixture until a dough forms.
Empty the dough onto a well floured surface and need briefly so that it comes together. Pat down to form a large flattened disk. Using a sharp floured knife or pastry cutter cut the dough into 8 triangles. Place these on a lined baking tray allowing space in between  each. Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon of sugar over the top surface of the scones.
Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
I love to serve scones straight from the oven with lashings of butter. These were also lovely with an aged sharp Cheddar cheese.
*scones also freeze very well if you per chance have any left over.
pomegranate scones
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.
If You Enjoyed This, Take 5 Seconds To Share It

0 comments:

Post a Comment