Saturday 12 September 2015

egg rolls banh mi style

Leave a Comment

egg rolls banh mi style

Banh mi
If you are unfamiliar with Vietnamese Banh mi sandwiches it is really worth becoming fully acquainted with them. They are ridiculously tasty. If you are familiar with them, then you know exactly what I’m talking about here. I did a pulled pork Banh mi in my first cookbook which is a recipe I have made again and again. I slowly roasted a shoulder of pork in ginger beer for seven hours and pulled it apart to sticky goodness and served it on a baguette with pickled daikon and carrots. There is some degree of flexibility around a Banh mi. A classic version would consist of a liver spread, a couple of cold meat cuts, pickled vegetables, a fried egg and fresh coriander. But I think you can add whatever you like.
Banh mi with fried egg
For this version I’ve used a hickory smoked ham, a sharp 18 month old Cheddar, a fried egg with crispy edges and a runny yolk. I drizzled over a good dose of sriracha, because it needs some heat, and I added crunchy carrot strips and a few of my quick and easy zucchini pickles. Fresh coriander leaves round it off, and all of the above are packed into a fresh crusty white roll.
Banh mi - Vietnamese sandwich
These are wonderful for breakfast, but perfect for lunch too. I fried the eggs in a very good non-stick pan with a few drops of sesame oil which gives them a lovely smokey flavour and crisps up the whites beautifully. A runny yolk is essential for me, and it oozes into the sandwich as you take the first bite.
I think what I love the most about Banh mi apart from the huge flavour, is the mixed textures. I love nothing more than food that is packed with contrasting raw, cooked, hot, cold, pickled and fresh.
What you need to make one egg roll Banh mi:
  • 1 crusty individual baguette, buttered
  • a thick slice of smoked ham or other cold cut of your choice
  • slices of mature cheddar
  • 1 – 2 eggs, fried
  • pickled vegetables like carrot, daikon or zucchini
  • a few fresh coriander leaves
  • finely sliced spring onions
  • hot sauce such as sriracha, as much as you like
  • salt and pepper if you prefer
Fry the egg as you would and to your liking. I did so in a few drops of sesame oil. Remove and set aside.
Butter the roll and assemble the sandwich. Finish off with a sprinkle of finely sliced spring onions and a good drizzle of hot sauce.
banh mi
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.
If You Enjoyed This, Take 5 Seconds To Share It

0 comments:

Post a Comment